Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The News (Can we really call it that?)

I remember, as a kid, that I used to hate to watch the news because it was full of what I considered "boring stuff." They were always talking about what was going on in the world, and I hated it.

As an adult, I grew to like the news. I wanted to be informed of what was going on in the world and know about important events. Unfortunately the news stations don't seem to care about what's important anymore.

I have been trying to watch the news while walking on the treadmill at the gym this week, and all I see and hear about is the fight for Anna Nicole Smith's body and how much Britney Spears' hair should sell for on E-bay. What is wrong with our nation that allows these two things to become the top stories of the week? I knew the news was turning into a joke, but this is beyond what I could have ever imagined. I shaved my head this week, why is CNN not following me around?

Here's some real news that you may not have heard about this week, because it's actually important: Several states have passed, or are trying to pass, laws that make it mandatory for young girls as young as 9-years-old to be vaccinated for HPV (Human Papillomavirus), an STD.

This goes right along with what Planned Parenthood and the abortion industry are trying to teach our youth: that they are just animals, with no self-control, who will have sex no matter what. They don't believe it is possible for young people to remain pure.

What kind of message are we sending the young women of this nation? Maybe we should be using the stories of Anna Nicole Smith and Britney Spears to teach them what not to look up to. Many high schools put wrecked cars in front of their schools to show kids what happens when you drink and drive. Maybe the same should be done with the stories of these celebrities who live trainwreck lives.

My oldest daughter is going to be 8-years-old in three months. I can't imagine, a year from now, that they would want to start "prepping" her against STDs. Then again I don't allow my kids to have role models like Britney Spears. I guess that makes me a mean dad. I must also be insane to think that my daughters will remain pure until their wedding day, like their mother did.

It all comes back to one thing: this world needs Christ. But then, the news stations might get sued if they talked about that. (Unfortunately, Christ never went to rehab, and he rose from the dead before we got the chance to fight over his body....)

For Christ I stand,

Bryan Kemper

No comments: