Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Are dogs more human than babies?

I was watching the news last night and heard a story about a man being sentenced to 12 years in prison. The story really caught my ear when the reporter talked about what he was found guilty of. He received a ten-year sentence for stalking, and a two-year sentence for killing a dog. I could not believe it: this man was sentenced to two years in prison for killing a dog.

Now of course I think it is horrible that he killed a dog, but I cannot understand how our judicial system can put more value on a dog than a child in the womb. Every time I turn on the news I get more and more upset at our nation and our society. This is precisely why I need to continue to watch the news, so I am reminded every day why the work we do is so important.

What I am wondering is how many stories like this is it going to take to wake up the rest of our nation? When are the churches and God’s people going to say, “Enough is enough”? When are we going to stop settling for politicians and lawmakers who compromise and ignore these injustices? When are we going to stand together and demand that every single human person be granted personhood?

This January marks 30 years since personhood was stripped away from preborn children. It seems our nation has somehow granted personhood to dogs; when will we restore it to all humans? When will we say, “Enough is enough”?

For Christ I stand,
Bryan Kemper

No comments: